Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Who Says No to an Adventure?

Around this time next year you may be reading in this space that we wish we'd said no to an adventure, but I sincerely hope that is not the case.

My last post left you in suspense, which was by design, however, now let me do some explaining. It must have been late November that Bruce's boss asked him if he would consider a move to Vancouver for a year to do some mentoring of the younger staff at the Earls headquarters. He was having no part of the idea, that is until his girlfriend of 50 years strong said, "why wouldn't we go?"

Big city--check.
Possibility of me seeing real snow--check.
Condo living--check.
Seasons--check.
Walkable and beautiful--check.
No grandchildren yet--check.

So you see, there are no reasons not to go. For a couple who have lived in Orlando pretty much all of their lives, what's not to like about the idea? Especially because the company plans for us to live in their condo on the 36th floor of the Woodward building in a super trendy part of Vancouver.

It has been nearly two years since my only visit to Vancouver, and should you care to learn more about that, I wrote about it here. Included in that post is a view of both the city from every direction, and the living area of the condo. I'm claiming the dining room table for my sewing machine which I'll need to keep me company while Bruce works at the office, about three blocks away.

It will be a huge adjustment, but at our age, how often will an adventure like this come along? I'll answer that question for you....not very often! So, after some deliberation, Bruce agreed to do it. Behind the scenes stuff is going on, like immigration papers, and although our son Bill is worried we won't return, we most certainly will because we can't afford to live there on our own! Plus, I'm a sunshine girl, and in spite of the sunny photographs you will see if you read the other blog post, there is a bunch of gray and gloomy weather there in the winter. Thus, the first paragraph.

Furthermore, we will miss Baxter who we plan on leaving in Orlando. He will be 14 by the time we move in late July, not to mention that there is a no pets policy. Currently we are seeking someone to take care of our little doggie during our absence, expenses paid, of course.  And we will miss our twins and their girls, but the truth is, they've had full access to their parents for 37 years which is way more than either Bruce or I did.

Now that you are up to speed, let us talk about the here and now. We will miss our friends, some of whom are super excited for us, and some of whom are envious, which seems pretty natural to me. One of whom is excited is Angela ,who most of you will remember is our former neighbor who lost her young husband to brain cancer about a year and half ago. We met for lunch at Hillstones Friday and when I told her the news she was freaking out!
Don't ask me why I did not go to the other side of the table while taking this photograph so I would not be shooting into the sun...duh! Her in-laws live in Seattle, so she already has plans to meet up when she is out West visiting them. In fact, that is pretty much everyone's reaction--when can we come visit? I'll keep you posted on that one.

Then too, Bill and Roxanne had the same reaction....can we bring the kids as well? Because never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever be living in that condo, I took no photographs of the bedrooms. and my memory is sketchy at best. so I suppose we'll have to just wait and see how many visitors we can accommodate. It must have been Thursday last week that Bill called Bruce asking if we wanted to go to an Elvis tribute show at the Plaza Theater. I said to Bruce when he told me he'd accepted , "you can't say no to Bill, can you?" Well, it was fun, despite my skepticism. We sat in the balcony which afforded a great view of the whole proceedings.
He did songs from the various stages of Elvis's career including his movie career. Who knew that Elvis appeared in 17 movies? Not me. There were two numbers when he invited anyone to come close to the stage while he gave out scarves, and Hawaiian leis. Oh my! He even had takers. Plus there kisses on the cheek! Once the show was complete he invited anyone to come to a table for photos and autographs, and there was a line, if you can imagine.
I could not help thinking about that poor young woman who was shot at the Plaza during her autograph session. It is absolutely unreal remembering that it was the same weekend as the Pulse shooting. :(

Here's a heartwarming photograph of Glenn's boss, Robert, and his daughter, from a surrogate mother. He and his husband have a little boy on the way as well.
While having lunch with Angela Friday, I noticed a new restaurant across the street, Bulla, which we tried Sunday following church. Turns out it is Spanish. Olives! Manchego cheese board! Tomato bread! Cranberry Mimosa for the win!
During the holidays I mentioned learning to make some new things, however, my memory is sketchy on whether I actually told you what some of those things were. Please forgive me if you already know about the zipper pouches. Angela turns 50 this week, crazy hard for me to believe, but it is true. I had a little gift bag all set to take on Friday that I promptly forgot. Turning that into a good thing, I spent some time Sunday afternoon making this for her.
Having grown up in England with Liberty fabric, I know she will be pleased. Several years ago Matt gave me some Liberty that I've now learned are in quilting sizes, something I was clueless about two years ago when I knew none of the current quilting lingo.  As well, the yellow stripe is some of my remaining estate sale fabric from a few years ago. You know, the one where I purchased about twenty different fabrics, up to four yards each for $20. Have I told you that fabric is around $13 per yard now? That was a lucky day for me, that's for sure.

Because Cathy was not feeling well, our usual Sunday evening get together was cancelled, so in lieu of going there, I convinced Bruce to play some Canasta, something we've not done for quite some time. Using our 1950 set, bought at an estate sale, his hand is pictured on the bottom left.
That's right...he beat the pants off of me Sunday night, however, last night I was reigning supreme when we had to call it quits because of an early flight for Bruce this morning. Yup, taking the 6AM flight to Dallas.

It is slightly crazy, and not just a little scary, thinking of moving, but we plan to dive right in to take advantage of our unexpected adventure.
yours truly,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety